A work-life balance is something we all strive for year round, but it is often even more of a struggle during this busy holiday season. Between deadlines, work functions, family gatherings, friends’ parties and children’s events, it can seem impossible to fit it all in. However, when you apply these time management tips from our NYC Professional Organizer, getting it all done doesn’t seem so difficult after all.
Top Time Management Tips
- Use Just One Calendar: Whether we’re working with a client who needs to organize their office, get their home in order or achieve overall improved time management, our NYC Professional Organizer always suggests that they use just one calendar. With this strategy, they can see all of their obligations, appointments, and activities at a glance. If you keep separate work and personal calendars you are only ever seeing one half of the puzzle at a time!
- Say No When Necessary: There is no shame in politely declining additional projects or invitations to events that you simply cannot work into your schedule without over exerting yourself. Part of effective time management is knowing not to spread yourself too thin.
- Keep a Master To Do List: Keep a running list containing all of the tasks that you know you must complete. Review this list each day to determine the 2-3 tasks that must be accomplished by day’s end.
- One Slice at a Time: It’s easy to become overwhelmed when you try to take on everything at once. Instead, address just one item at a time. Our NYC Professional Organizer even recommends dividing projects into smaller tasks that can be completed throughout the week to make them more approachable.
- Like With Like: When you are deciding what tasks to tackle each day, group similar items together. For instance, if you know that you will need to e-mail and call five different people this week, set aside a chunk of time in one day to make these calls and send the necessary emails.
At the end of the day, we can’t add more hours to our week by wishing on shooting stars or turning back the clock. However, by following these tips from our NYC Professional Organizer, we can make the most of the time that we do have!