A mudroom is ideal for stashing and managing shoes, boots, coats and bags. But even if you’re not fortunate enough to have a room dedicated to this purpose (and many NYC homeowners aren’t), you can create an efficient drop zone (or landing pad/launching pad) near your home’s primary point of entry. By starting with these organizing solutions for eliminating clutter, NYC residents will have an easier time getting themselves and their families out the door on time each day as all the essential items will be right at hand:
- Storage with Style –two good organizing solutions to consider are a bench with built-in cubbies or baskets/bins placed under an open bench gives everyone a place to sit down while putting on or removing shoes, as well as storage for umbrellas, hats, gloves, small bags, etc. For high-visibility areas, consider an upholstered storage bench with a removable lid – a great combination of style and function.
- Rack Space – a shoe rack keeps shoes organized and visible, avoiding a pile or basket of shoes that everyone has to search through to find their own footwear.
- Leave ‘em Hanging – a row of sturdy hooks is one of the best organizing solutions as it holds jackets, handbags, keys and dog leashes. If you have young children, be sure some hooks are placed at a height they can reach.
- Take Note – a dry-erase or cork message board is great for notes and to-do lists. This can also be a handy place to hang the family calendar so everyone knows what’s on the schedule.
- Pick a Pocket – an over-the-door shoe organizer with see-through pockets is perfect for storing small items such as sunglasses, small umbrellas, gloves and mittens, keys and more.
- Mirror, Mirror – a wall-mounted mirror allows for a last-minute check before you head out for the day.
With just a few tools and a little creativity, you will be eliminating clutter and your NYC home will be organized, efficient and best of all…leaving for work or school will be much less stressful.