October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month and these office organizing ideas from The Organizing Zone, a professional office organizer in NYC, and the Department of Homeland Security can help you take steps with organizing your NYC office so that you’ll maximize the security of your computer systems:
- Create secure passwords for your accounts (longer passwords using upper and lower case letters with symbols are more secure than short, simple ones) and change them regularly. Establish a reminder system when organizing your NYC office to update passwords and create guidelines for where and how they can be recorded. Password storage software and online tools are available to securely store your passwords.
- Lock your computer when you’re away from it – even for just a few minutes.
- Install anti-virus software and firewalls on all computers (business and at home – this is particularly important if you share files between the two) and keep them up-to-date. Activate settings to automatically update to protect your computers from new threats.
- Disconnect your computer from the internet when you aren’t using it. Your computers are more vulnerable to virus attacks and hackers if they remain online all the time. Depending on your method of internet connection, you may need to disable a wireless connection, turn off your computer or modem, or disconnect cables.
- Use regular communications – newsletters, email alerts, company website – to increase awareness on issues such as updating software, protecting personal information and securing your wireless network. If need be, work with a professional office organizer in NYC to create a system for efficiently communicating with your staff.
- Establish a back-up system for computer files. This can be an external hard drive, a central server or an online back-up service. Many systems will back up your data automatically on a regular basis, so you don’t have to remember to do it.
- Subscribe to the National Cyber Alert System from the US Computer Emergency Readiness Team at www.us-cert.gov. Through the Alert System, you can receive timely information about current cyber security problems and tips on common security topics, such as privacy, email spam, and wireless protection.
When exploring the best office organizing ideas for your NYC company, be sure to establish routines and checklists to keep up with these basic protective measures and you’ll make significant strides in protecting your computer(s) from cyber threats. Visit our website for more information on how computer and email management techniques can make you more productive every day.