A few months ago NYC professional home organizer, The Organizing Zone, shared advice to help you prepare for emergencies and disasters, both natural and man-made. As we’ve already had our first snowfall this season, a good New York home organizing task is to be sure that you are set to implement the following organizing solutions should there be a sudden case of severe winter weather.
Every home organizing expert in New York household suggests having an emergency supply kit with the items you and your family need should you have to survive on your own for at least three days. Check your kit regularly and replace any expired items. Before severe winter weather approaches, the Federal Emergency Management Agency recommends adding the following items to your kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways.
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
- Sufficient heating fuel. Keep in mind that in a winter storm, your regular fuel sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for your fireplace or wood-burning stove if you have one.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
Listen to a NOAA Weather Radio or local news channel for weather updates and be aware of weather forecast changes.
Stay off roadways if possible and if you must travel, organize and plan to maximize safety. Keep an emergency supply kit in your car. This should include many of the same items as your home emergency kit, plus:
- A bag of sand or non-clumping cat litter for improved tire traction if you should become stuck (the added weight of the bag in your vehicle will help with traction also)
- Ice scraper
- Jumper cables
- Tire chains
Always carry a mobile phone with a fully-charged battery. Drive during the day, make sure others know your travel plans, your route and your departure and estimated arrival times. Stay on main roads, which are more likely to be cleared of snow and ice before surface streets.
As we head into another New York winter, we can’t stop snow and ice from coming our way but by implementing some home organizing solutions in advance, we can be prepared for whatever Mother Nature sends us with this NYC Professional Organizer’s tips.