Staying Organized While Living in a Small Space: Effective Home Organizing Tips
Are you ever jealous? (C’mon, be honest. We all know that being jealous isn’t necessarily a great trait, but most of us have felt jealous at one time or another.) And what are some circumstances that might cause you to have this feeling of jealousy? Why it might just be that you are jealous of those folks that have huge walk-in closets, extra large basements and attics and how about those garages … tell me, do they make you swoon?
Well, if you live in a rather small space, you know just what I am talking about. We crave additional room and muse about what we would do if granted just an extra room or two.
It seems that some folks that live in large spaces don’t seem to care all that much about organization; they simply put their stuff out of the way and no one is the wiser about the chaos that lurks behind closed closet or basement doors. But when you live in a small space you must be highly organized lest your belongings take over and encroach on your actual living space.
You know what I mean right? Have you ever visited someone and had to push aside piles of books and papers on the kitchen counter to simply find a spot to place your coffee cup and in your head you’re saying, “are they really reading all those books at one time?”
The truth is that you really don’t have to live in a state of dis-array because there are some very simple home organizing tips that can help you control clutter in a small space.
- One of our key home organizing tips is ensuring that everything has its place and that you can put your hands on whatever it is you want or need without it taking too much time and involving stress. (Where did I put that bill anyway?!) The key is to have a place for everything and to be rigorous about always putting things back in their rightful places. If you leave your things in every room and without any sort of organization, it’s almost impossible to quickly find what you want.
- Purchase storage containers, folders and other sorts of clutter eliminating, organization promoting solutions – just be sure to avoid these common mistakes when choosing storage containers! You’ll find that these things not only help to keep you more organized but they also provide you with more room in your closets and drawers. The selection from which you can choose is vast and they can make a huge difference in controlling clutter.
- Learn how to say “no” and this might be the most difficult of our home organizing tips. Take a moment to think about where you are going to put that new purchase. Will you be discarding something else to make room for it or will you have to get creative so that you have a spot for both? We live in a world of mass consumerism and when you live in a small space, sometimes you just have to say “no.”
- Our NYC Professional Organizer recommends getting creative with your furniture and thinking about the storage potential when you buy certain pieces. Sure you like that table, but there is another one that you like equally as much and it has DRAWERS! Always consider your options.
- Make a commitment to minimize clutter. You don’t have to devote an entire day to de-cluttering, especially if you pick up as you go along. Take just five minutes at the end of the day to return things to their proper place and if you don’t know what to do with something, don’t just leave it where it is. Think about if you want or need it and if so, make a spot for it.
So don’t waste time longing for more space. Use the space that you have efficiently, control the clutter and enjoy your cozy ORGANIZED home.
Need additional assistance creating organizing solutions to clear the clutter in your small space? Schedule a consultation with our NYC Professional Organizer Stephanie Shalofsky. She’ll work with you to take advantage of every nook and cranny in your home to maximize the storage potential of your small space and create lasting solutions for you!