Getting packed and organized to leave for a day trip or week-long vacation can be quite the challenge. But the organizing doesn’t stop there! It’s important to have a plan in place to stay organized while you are away. Searching for lost clothing items, feeling frazzled with schedules and activities…doesn’t sound like a very relaxing time, does it?
This Professional Organizer in NYC is sharing six simple tips to help you stay organized while you are away so that you can spend more time relaxing and enjoying your trip!
- Stay organized from the start. The key to a smooth,organized trip is preparation and planning – and that starts before you even leave home! Don’t overpack. Take only the items you really need. Follow a checklist of all the items you need so you don’t forget anything! Remember to think about what kinds of activities you’ll be partaking in at your travel destination and plan accordingly.
- Wherever you stay, pretend like it’s your home. Whether you are staying in a hotel or at a friend’s house, try and recreate some of your home organizing routines. Put your shoes in the same place whenever you take them out. Hang your clothes or coats in a closet. Designate a space for your car keys, key card, and wallet. Keep your cell phone and charger in the same location every time. If you don’t have designated spaces for each item, it’s more likely to misplace them.
- Clean and organize nightly. When you return from the day’s activities, take a few minutes to tidy up your space. Put items back in your suitcase, tidy up your toiletries, check your itinerary for the next day. Put items that you won’t be reusing on your trip together. For example, if you have worn an outfit and won’t be rewearing it, put it in a plastic bag so that the dirty clothes aren’t overtaking your room. When planning for the next day, pull out any items you’ll need and pack a smaller bag for the day. There’s no need to take every item with you! Pack separately and only take what you’ll need.
- Keep any documents you need together. Though there are many tools and applications you can use on your phone to make traveling easier, there are also times where you’ll need to keep hard-copy documents on hand. Keep a folder in your travel bag and use it to hold all documents. This might include rental car agreements, hotel reservations, or plane tickets. Keep them all together!
- Organize your souvenirs. When you travel, it’s inevitable that you’ll be heading home with more than you arrived with! If you plan on doing a lot of shopping on your trip, bring a separate bag to hold your items. If you purchase a lot, consider heading to the post office and mail those items home. Otherwise, don’t let your newly purchased items overtake your temporary home. Pack them immediately into your suitcase or designate a space in your room for these items so it’s easier to pack when it’s time to leave.
- Reuse that checklist. Remember the checklist of every item you were packing? When it’s time to repack and head home, use that checklist to ensure that everything makes it’s way back into your luggage.
The key to a stress-free trip is planning and preparation, and that doesn’t stop when you leave home! This Professional Organizer in NYC urges you to remain organized on your vacation so that you can spend more time enjoying your travels and less time stressing about where your belongings are.