You are a busy person….you have a job, a home, a family, meetings, appointments, a lot happening. There often seems like there just isn’t enough time in the day to get everything done!
The Professional Organizer in NYC hears you loud and clear and is offering her Top 5 Tips to manage your day and save you time.
- Create a daily plan. Whether you use a paper planner, a notebook, or an app on your phone, the best way to manage all that needs to be done is to capture all of the information in one place. Include all of your appointments and meetings as well as a list of the tasks that need to be accomplished that day. Review your plan for the following day either the night before or the first thing in the morning so you that there will be no wasted time trying to figure out what to do first.
- Your goal is to be early. If you have an appointment at 9:00am, allow yourself enough time to prepare, plan, and arrive at least 15 minutes early. Build that time into your daily schedule. If you give yourself the extra time in your day, not only will you never be late again, but you will be refreshed instead of rushed. When you rush, important details can be lost or forgotten. By giving yourself that little extra buffer time, you’ll be able to be more efficient and less overwhelmed!
- Disconnect from technology. Let’s be honest here: technology can be addicting. We all have smart phones and tablets that give us access to the internet and social media all day long. What starts as a few minutes of flipping through Facebook can turn into 30 minutes of wasted time. Set boundaries for yourself. If you use these tools to generate business, then block out time for the internet and social media and work during that block, and then shut it off. Allow yourself to be more present with the people you see face to face. If necessary, delete the apps from your phone altogether!
- Prioritize. The reality is that we only have 24 hours in any given day. This is why prioritizing your tasks is important. Identify the top 1-2 must do tasks for the day based on pre-established deadlines or unexpected emergencies. If you know you have a busy afternoon of meetings and plan to attend your child’s soccer game, then your attention must be very focused and the less important tasks need to be added to your to-do list for later in the week.
- Take care of yourself. This is an important point that is often overlooked. We rush and rush all day long, and we often try to squeeze in more tasks and appointments than we should in a given day. We need to take time to make ourselves a priority. By making sure you get enough sleep each night, have time to eat meals throughout the day, and allow time for the things that truly inspire you and make you happy, you will be more efficient and productive during the rest of the day. Be sure to book time for yourself on your calendar.
Time management is a skill that constantly needs to be worked on. By implementing a few of these top tips from the professional organizer in NYC, you’ll be well on your way to a more productive life.