The number of online tools and smart phone apps to help you get organized has expanded greatly in the past few years – there’s an app for just about everything, from setting goals to tracking your to-do’s to storing expense receipts for tax preparation. Professional organizers in NYC recommend taking advantage of technology to do the things you need to more quickly and efficiently. The list below is based on professional and user reviews, but always do your own research and evaluation to be sure you’re choosing the right apps to get organized.
Toodledo – Highly-rated among users, this app for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch is a powerful tool to help manage your to-do-list and notes. Toodledo works as a stand-alone app or synchronizes with Toodledo.com, one of the most popular online task managers.
- Ability to assign tasks to a folder or goal
- Audible popup alarms
- Start and stop timers to keep track of time spent on projects (a key component of time management)
- Assign locations to your tasks and view them on a map so that you can see what you can do nearby. Get proximity alerts when you are near a location where you have things to do.
- Apply filters to tasks to sort by importance
- Even Tweet your accomplishments with built-in Twitter support
Evernote, named a New York Times ‘Must-Have App,’ is easy to use and provides synchronization capability across all of your devices and is a favorite of many professional organizers in NYC. Features include:
- Create and edit text notes, to-dos and task lists
- Save, sync and share files
- Record voice and audio notes
- Search for text inside images
- Organize notes by notebooks and tags
- Email notes and save tweets to your Evernote account
- Connect Evernote to other apps and products you use
Gtdagenda offers an online tool as well as an app for iPod and Android and can be used to manage your goals, projects and tasks, as well as set next actions and contexts. The tool includes checklists and a calendar and syncs with Evernote and Google Calendar. Gtdagenda integrates with your email, allowing you to send/receive emails and convert them into projects or tasks.
eWallet securely stores passwords, account information, card numbers, PINs and more. Just think of the number of passwords and PINs you use every day – and how frustrating it is when you can’t remember one. The software uses strong 256-bit AES encryption to keep your data safe and is available for iPhone, Android, PC and Mac.
As we are all more dependent on our mobile devices than ever before, it is essential that we identify the best combination of apps to help us get and stay organized. Be sure to take these recommendations from our NYC Professional Organizer and test them to see if they work for you!