In the age of email, constant communication is at our finger tips. As much as this improves our ability to work with others, especially those working in a separate location from us, it also creates a few new challenges. Often one of the biggest challenges is the productivity issues that arise due to the time consuming process of crafting well composed emails – or deciphering poorly written ones. Our NYC professional organizer has created a series of strategies for writing emails that not only improve efficiency for the sender, but also ensures the clarity of communication to the recipients.
Here are our NYC professional organizer’s top 10 email organization tips for composing effective emails.
- The most important piece of advice we can give is to be both clear and concise in your emails. Non-verbal cues, such as tone of voice, are lost in emails, so you intention must be clearly defined to your reader.
- Limit yourself to one subject per email to avoid getting off topic.
- In the body of your email, get straight to the point by quickly and directly specifying the reason for your email.
- In order to make your message easier to read, thus ensuring that your recipient sees and retains all of the pertinent information, use brief paragraphs or bullet points.
- At the end of your message, spell out necessary next steps.
- If you are including questions in your email, be sure to make them very specific and number them so your recipient can easily answer and refer back to them.
- Make your subject line as specific as possible. In fact, you may find that there are times that your whole message can be communicated in the subject line.
- For a thread of email correspondence under the same subject line, include your signature only in the initial message.
- Should the subject matter change throughout the thread of emails, continue to use that thread to include all parties involved and edit the subject line as necessary.
- Though a greeting should be included in the initial message, it is not necessary in the following messages.
Make the writing process more efficient the communication clearer when writing your emails by following the email organization tips above. Need help organizing all those message piling up in your inbox as well? Stay tuned to our blog for more email organization tips or reach out to our NYC professional organizer for hands-on assistance.