With the holidays upon us, there is excitement in the air and lists of things to do, buy and get ready in a fairly limited amount of time. Despite whatever plans you may have for the holiday season, work still needs to be done. It can be hard to stay focused and manage your tasks so that you have time to enjoy everything going on around you.
As a Professional Organizer in NYC, I know how valuable time management is to an efficient work day. Here are my tips on staying focused in the office during the holiday season.
- Write it down. Instead of keeping all of the tasks and projects you need to complete stored in your head, write them down or add them to your project management system. Trying to remember everything, especially during a busy time of year, is a recipe for disaster. Following a to-do list will save you time, energy, and frustration over late nights in the office finishing up tasks that you forgot about.
- Avoid multitasking. This is a big no-no! It can be tempting to hop online during a conference call and finish up some of your holiday shopping. It may even seem like you are saving valuable time! But the truth is, by trying to do two things at once, you could be missing important updates or tasks assigned to you, and you’ll lose time later on trying to figure out what you missed. Stay focused and work on one thing at a time.
- Get a jump start. If you can, get a head start on any end of the year projects you know are coming up. Get those tasks done now, and you’ll be able to take time off later in the month.
- Keep it separate. Don’t bring your work home if you can avoid it. Give yourself deadlines in the office and commit to finishing your work by a hard stop time. Keeping work and home separate means that you will be spending focused and dedicated time on one or the other. You’ll be productive during your work day because you know you only have that time to spend working. You’ll then be able to enjoy your time with family and friends without sneaking away to work or check your email.
- Don’t over commit. This is huge! The holidays bring with them parties, events, and other commitments that can eat up a lot of your time. Remember that it’s okay to say no! You aren’t obligated to attend every office party or client event that you are invited to, so keep that in mind and pick and choose which events are most important to you.
Remember that the holidays are supposed to be a joyful time of year, not chaotic and overwhelming. In order to manage your tasks and still have enough time to enjoy your favorite events of the season, you need to prioritize and stay focused. Don’t miss out on precious time and memories with family and friends, enjoy it all! When you need time management tips for your office, reach out to this Professional Organizer in NYC and you’ll be able to find the time to work and enjoy the season.