Clutter, clutter, everywhere! This Professional Organizer in NYC knows that nobody is a fan of clutter, yet we all end up dealing with it in our daily lives. Clutter can make you feel overwhelmed, anxious, and frustrated. This is especially true if your office is cluttered. It’s near impossible to be productive and do your best work in a cluttered space! So why is it so hard to get started? Instead of feeling like decluttering your office is an impossible task, start by spending just five minutes at a time and start decluttering your space in small chunks of time. Schedule time daily, set a timer and your progress will be noticeable before too long.
Here are some decluttering tips from your Professional Organizer in NYC that you can do in just five minutes.
1. Collect all the random paperwork and files in your office and put them in one location. Designate an inbox and don’t put incoming paperwork anywhere else. Having all new paperwork in one location will leave space on your desk to spread out the files for your latest project.
2. Take five minutes each day and sort through your in box. Make immediate decisions – file away what needs to be saved, make note of any actions required and file in the appropriate “action” file, or recycle what you don’t need.
3. Pick one shelf and clear it of clutter. Maybe you have a bookcase in your office or closet with shelves. Start at one end of the shelf and systematically work your way across it assessing the contents and removing items that don’t belong or are no longer needed.
4. Clear out a desk drawer. Similar to decluttering a shelf, focus just five minutes on one drawer. Empty it completely and put back only items that you use and need to be stored there. Return other items to the office inventory, or get rid of them altogether. Don’t save anything that you won’t ever use.
5. Take five minutes and walk around your office with a box and collect any items that you can donate or recycle. This could be outdated office equipment or an excess of supplies that you won’t use. Don’t let them pile up, give them to a good cause.
6. Review the random documents that have collected on your desktop. Spend 5 minutes filing or discarding documents.
Five minutes is not a lot of time, but spending time in five minute increments on different areas of your office will add up fast. When you spend focused time on a task, you’ll be surprised at how much you can get done! And after just a little bit of time and effort, you’ll notice immediately a difference in your space. Schedule time to continue these decluttering tasks throughout the week and soon you’ll be working in an uncluttered, efficient office!
Need more hands on decluttering help? Contact your Professional Organizer in NYC and get started on decluttering your office today.